- 150 majors and/or minors offered at Pitt
- 79 different courses in critical studies (film/TV/photography history, theory, criticism)
- 46 different courses in production (filmmaking, videography, photography, digital imaging)
Students have gone on to graduate school at: American Film Institute, University of Southern California, Columbia University, University of Iowa, University of Wisconsin-Madison, New York University, Trinity College-Dublin.
Student internships include:
- Local: Banyan Productions, Carnegie Museum, Inecom, KDKA, Nancy Mosser Casting, New Perspective, Peter Argentine Productions, Pittsburgh Dance Council, Pittsburgh Film Office, Pittsburgh Filmmakers, Pittsburgh Passion, Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Steelers, PMI Inc., Steeltown Entertainment Project, Warhol Museum, WQED.
- National: American Cinema Editors, As the World Turns, Chiat/Day Productions (LA), Mosaic Media (LA), Rite Aid (media production), Team Coco, The Tonight Show, Village Roadshow Productions (LA), Walt Disney Studios/Orlando.
- PhD in Film and Media Studies (with concentration in one of six Associated Departments: English, French, Hispanic, History of Art & Architecture, or Slavic).
- Doctoral and Masters Certificates (Interdisciplinary)
- Doctoral graduate job placements.
Nationally and internationally renowned faculty include (in alphabetical order):
- Nancy Condee (author of 1 book, 1 CD-Rom, 1 journal special issue on film/media)
- Jane Feuer (author of 2 books on film/media)
- Lucy Fischer (author of 8 books on film/media) - Distinguished Professor
- Marcia Landy (author of 12 books on film) - Distinguished Professor
- Colin MacCabe (author of 5 books on film/media) - Distinguished Professor
Faculty members have lectured or juried film festivals internationally in: England, Scotland, Ireland, Canada, Japan, Israel, Sweden, Austria, Germany, Russia, Poland, Belgium, France, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Finland, Holland.
National Endowment for the Arts Art Critics Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship for University Professors, Scaliogne Book Prize for French and Francophone Studies, Society for Cinema and Media Studies Dissertation Award, Ford Foundation, MacArthur Foundation, International Research and Exchange Board, British Academy Visiting Fellowship, Social Science Research Council, Kennan Institute of Advanced Russian Studies, Institute of Current World Affairs Fellowship, American Council of Learned Societies, Fulbright Senior Research Fellowship, Toshiba International Foundation Grant, Japan Foundation Fellowship.
- Filmmakers: George Romero, Charles Burnett, Spike Lee, Oliver Stone, Issac Julien, Curtis Hanson, Robert Altman, Jean-Luc Godard, Werner Herzog, Sachi Hamano, Hisako Matsui (Japan), Aleksandr Bashirov (Russia), Marina Goldovskaia (Russia/US), Leonid Gurevich (Russia), Larisa Sadilov (Russia), Dan Wolman (Israel), Naftaly Gliksberg (Israel), Peter Argentine.
- Industry professionals: Eric Gold, Bernie Goldmann, Tom Savini, Robert Cort, Bob Kusbit, Ed Driscoll, Cast from Night of the Living Dead (Russ Streiner, Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman, Bill Hinzman, David Conrad).
- Film scholars: Dudley Andrew (Yale), Paolo Cherchi-Usai (U. Rochester), Mary Ann Doane (Brown), Linda Williams (Berkeley), Peter Wollen (UCLA), Tom Doherty (Brandeis), James Naremore (Indiana-Bloomington, Tom Gunning (U. Chicago), Millicent Markus (U. of Pennsylvania), Janet Staiger (U. Texas-Austin), Yuri Tsivian (U. Chicago), Toby Miller (NYU), William Simon (NYU), Lisa Cartwright (U. Rochester), David Desser (U. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign), Tytti Soila (Stockholm University), Soyoung Kim (Seoul NationalUniversity), Kyungsoon Lee (Chonnam National University) , Laura Mulvey (Birbeck College, University of London), Karen Pinkus (USC), Guido Fink, Andrei Plakhov, Birgit Beumers, Gul'nara Abikeeva, Tony Rayns, Mikhail Iampolskii, Donald Richie.
Film Exhibition Series
Indian Cinema, New French Waves, African and European Cinema, Women’s History Series, Polish Film, Russian Film, Slovak Film, Central Asian Film, Japanese Film, Korean Film, Jewish/Israeli Film (co-sponsored).